CNN

Yum

Monday, May 4, 2015

Family Memories and passing down recipes

I was inspired to talk about family recipes, and bringing back memories of family meals from a company that helps you bring back family memories in a special way! This company is called Patience Brewster. Make sure you check out their unique gifts that they sell! They are so cute.”


Sometimes I smell some type of food cooking, and it brings memories flying back to me....Its weird how the smell or taste of something sends them flooding back to you.  Growing up my mom continued a tradition where on our birthdays we would pick a meal...and it didn't matter what meal it was. She always made it happen no matter what was going on. Its a memory that I treasure and something I continue with my kids.  My birthday dinner of choice was always Chicken Casserole. Every birthday that is what I requested. This is a recipe my mom got when I was in her belly. She always made it for me growing up and I make it for my kids. I hope that my kids will make it for their family when that happens.

Another recipe that brings memories back to me is my Grandma Crane's persimmon cookies! She always had these in a jar on the table.  They were always so very good. My mom always made them but we all agreed no one could make them like she could. She is much older now, and I live far away from her. My mom gives me bags of persimmon pulp when she comes and I make them for my kids.  The smell of them baking sends me memories of times spent at their house. My Grandad has passed away but my Grandma is still alive and I'm sure she'd make them for me if I asked. I plan on passing this recipe to my kids. So they can make it for their kids. 

I love family recipes that get passed down with time.  My moms mom never really cooked but my dads mom did....I have her Persimmon cookies recipe! Don't ever doubt that food smells can bring back memories. Make memories with your family and make sure you pass recipes to your kids. It is very important. Family time spent baking, cooking is something that is important to keep!

Today I leave you with my Grandma Crane's Persimmon Cookies :-)

Grandma Cranes Persimmon Cookies
1/2 C Butter
1. C Sugar
1 Egg Beaten
2 C. Flour
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 C. Persimmon Pulp
 (It's the persimmon mostly found in IL and Ind. To get pulp you have to mash it up)
1 TSP Cinnamon
Dash of salt
1/2 C. Raisins (Optional)

Cream together the Butter and sugar, add your beaten egg, pulp. Mix well. Add flour, baking soda, dash of salt and cinnamon. Add raisins if your using them.. Then add by drop fulls on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 till done.

No comments:

Post a Comment