CNN

Yum

Monday, January 19, 2015

Thoughts from my heart-Child Hunger

I just recently watched a movie called " Place at the Table". It brought a lot of stuff to my mind that I hadn't really thought of before. One of the things that it mentions is that America doesn't have a lack of food...its a lack of education. We have all these resources but yet no one uses them right.  Can you imagine that one of the easiest ways to solve child hunger is to educate?!

It always angered me that we tended to focus on those in other countries that are starving, but yet chose to ignore those who maybe starving in your own backyard.  Do not get me wrong its sad who those in other countries are starving and dying. I hate that too.  I'm a firm believer in the fact that before we can help others, we have to help ourselves. How can we as America, help fight child hungry in other countries while those in our own country are dying from it? Its crazy.  As a parent I could not imagine the feeling of my kids going hungry and not being able to do anything about it.  It would rip my heart out.

So many kids are going to school starving...they are not wanting the latest video game, they are just wanting food. Why can't we step up and educate others? Why can't we step up and say " You know what, lets fix this problem in America". We tend to just ignore the problem, thinking it will go away. Guess what?! Its not going away, the problem is just growing bigger.

We can't ignore the problem, we can't just put a band aid on it. That will not help. There are food banks but a lot of them are running dry. Did you know that you can donate to Food banks? I mean do you really need the 20 boxes of mac n cheese? Donate 5 to the food bank. That would feed 5 people a meal or one person 5 meals.  Do you have a lot of soups hanging out in your pantry, and need more room? Donate them. Food banks need your help. Its something you can do to help fight child hunger.  Also you can donate to No Kid Hungry and they also help fight against Child hunger. So many ways you can help.

If you are in need of help contact your local food bank to see how they can help you. Please do not feel embarrassed. Everyone needs help!  If you are not sure of one, please contact me and I'll do what I can to help you out.

-Alyssa



No comments:

Post a Comment