CNN

Yum

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Guest Post from Baking in a Tornado

 Hello,
Today Karen from Baking in a Tornado will be the guest blogger for the day!!! I became friends with her through an awesome group I'm in :-) We laugh, we cry and we laugh again.  They have all come together to help me out and I truly appreciate it.

So welcome her with open arms!!!
-Lysska


 *************
Hello everyone, my name is Karen and I blog at www.BakingInATornado.com. If you check the bottom of this post I’ve provided my bio and links to where you can find me.

It’s my pleasure to post here at Cooking from a SAHM to help Lysska out while she heals. I wish her well and hope that she returns better than ever.

I’m visiting today with a recipe for Peachy Chicken. I came up with this recipe back in September when I was asked to develop a recipe for a contest. The rules were that the dish had to:
*include chicken breasts or thighs
*only have 10 – 12 ingredients
*only require use of basic cooking equipment
*be made in 30 minutes, including prep time

One thing I want to mention about this recipe. Although I only marinated the chicken, peaches and peppers for a short time due to the time constraints of the contest, when I make this for my family I do marinate the chicken longer, even overnight. I don’t marinate the peaches and peppers until I’m ready to cook.




I have to admit that I enjoyed the challenge. And my family enjoyed the results:




I always invite people, when trying one of my recipes, to post a picture on my Facebook page and let me know what you think. Readers have made this one before and posted pictures for me, I hope you do too.
This recipe originally posted at: http://www.bakinginatornado.com/2013/09/peachy-chicken.html

Peachy Chicken
                                                                                               ©www.BakingInATornado.com


Printable Recipe: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iu0CFCSSYWIqZHydls--R4rLlJEBBCzBtxvWJUjatVA/edit?usp=sharing

Ingredients (serves two):
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-sized cubes
1 red pepper, cut into cubes
2 peaches, each one cut into 6 slices
1/3 cup apricot jam
1/3 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
3 TBSP Sweet Red Pepper Chili Sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
3/4 cup poppy seed salad dressing (my homemade Karen’s Poppy Dressing is here: http://www.bakinginatornado.com/2014/04/first-funny-friday.html)
1 sprig of rosemary

1 cup chicken broth
1 cup instant white rice
2 TBSP pignolis (pine nuts)

Directions:
*Whisk apricot jam, 1/3 cup of white wine or chicken broth, chili sauce, minced garlic and poppy seed dressing. Set aside about 1/3 of this mixture for basting.
*Put the chicken pieces into a freezer bag (or bowl) with the sprig of rosemary. Put the peaches and pepper into another bag or bowl. Add the remaining sauce to the bags and manipulate gently so that everything gets coated.
*If you’re using wooden skewers, soak them in water. Grease and heat your grill (or heat your broiler).
*Thread the chicken, fruit and vegetables onto skewers. I prefer to keep the raw chicken on skewers separate from the fruit and vegetables.
*Put skewers onto grill or broiler pan and baste the chicken skewers with half of the reserved sauce. Cook about 8 - 10 minutes, turn, baste the other side of the chicken with the rest of the reserved sauce. Cook approximately another 8 - 10 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked.
*Once you’ve turned the skewers, cook the rice according to package directions substituting chicken broth for the water and adding the pignolis with the rice. Serve chicken, peaches and red pepper over the rice.


I’m Karen, a former Director of Social Service and Retail Buyer, now SAHM to two teens.
I blog, share recipes and vent at BakingInATornado.com.
I've been featured on the websites Mamapedia, Scary Mommy, GenerationFabulous, Foodies Network, Treat a Day, and BA50. I’m affiliated with the Culinary Content Network and am a Contributor on Felicity Huffman’s website What the Flicka. I've been published in the Life Well Blogged series and in the book The Mother of all Meltdowns.
Visit my blog: http://www.BakingInATornado.com
FB: https://www.facebook.com/BakingInATornado
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BakngInATornado
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/BakngInATornado/boards/



1 comment:

  1. Those are beyond delicious looking. I love the ingredients in the marinade!! Great post.

    ReplyDelete