CNN

Yum

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Kids and Vegetables/Fruit

For Easter we do not give the kids much candy at all! J and I had decided before we had Meg that we did not want our kids having a lot of Candy. Meghan first got candy when she was just about three years old. We had people giving her Candy for holidays but she never knew it. We told people if your going to give her something give her fruit. Karina is almost 2 and I can count on one hand how many times she has had Candy. For Easter we fill their eggs with broccoli and grapes. You maybe thinking what??!!! I have been told that I was denying my kids joy. My daughters Meghan(3) and Karina(1) enjoy all fruits and vegetables. So for Easter when they discovered that the eggs were filled with broccoli and grapes they were excited.

Since my oldest has been born we have always provided fresh fruit and vegetables. They have grown up with the fresh produce, we never told them that it was yucky. We simply gave it to them. They chowed down and loved it.. End result is that my daughters would rather eat vegetables/fruit, then to eat Candy. My oldest thinks that McDonald's just sells Apples. I want to keep it that way. My kids have never had a happy meal, they hate soda, would rather have a big thing of broccoli then anything else. My kids can be seen chowing down on summer squash or zucchini.

Then you may be asking how we get them to like it...Well they have had no choice. Its what was on the table or offered. We never kept junk snacks for them. We provide fruit snacks, random fruit/vegetables, yogurt etc. All healthy snacks. We do not tell them any vegetable is yucky even if I do not care for it. The same with fruit.  My kids have never had kool aid. We buy them 100% juice. They have a choice between: milk,water or juice. I'm not saying that my kids never have any fun. My oldest does get to eat pizza here and there, and she gets ice cream. We strive to raise our kids to be healthy.

My three year old also walks an average of 2 miles a week sometimes more. She does not go in a stroller, and we are working on our youngest to be out of the stroller as well. My one year old can walk about 1/2 a mile.  I love the walks with my kids...its our bonding time. Its healthy and fun.

Sorry if you think I'm being unfair with my kids, but I'm happy they are healthy/happy!

2 comments:

  1. My little guy has had candy, and he gets treats on occasion, but I am with you. He loved fruits and veggies. Snack most afternoons or nights is fruit smoothies or apple slices or raisins or crackers with peanut butter. He has only had oatmeal at McDonald's, and has never had full strength juice. I don't even give him diluted juice too often, because he loves milk and water. I very rarely order him a kids meal at any restaurant, because they are usually junk, and my meal is often more than enough for both me and him. I know the day will come when he will want and will have juice or soda or french fries, but I want to teach him good habits while I still can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My three year old has had candy, and we do give her some things here and there. Mostly as a reward for doing something really nice or helping.
      My youngest loves milk, and my oldest loves her juice. However shes only allowed so much juice a day. She has to have milk or water. She loves water as well.
      I mainly wrote this because I was tired of hearing people tell me that I was denying my kids something.
      So glad there are other healthy moms out there who are trying to do right by their kids <3

      Delete