CNN

Yum

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

My experience with Fried Ice Cream


Deep Fried Ice Cream

When I first heard of Deep Fried Ice Cream, I was thinking what???? In my head ice cream was cold, and when not cold it melted. So putting it in hot oil just went against all. First time I had it was at Stonebridge Bistro which is a restaurant in our area. They make the most amazing Fried Ice Cream. Oh my goodness.  I never really thought about making it at home till just recently.  I researched online to see how exactly they make it. I wanted just a basic knowledge of it which I believe is important when making any recipe. I did some research then decided this weekend I would make it. So Sunday was the day I would attempt it. I  purchased ice cream, corn flakes, stuff for salted caramel, and semi sweet dark chocolate. I got home and took my ice cream scoop and made balls, and put them in the freezer for 2-3 hours. When I got home I rolled them in a corn flake mixture I had crushed. Put them back in the freezer for another 2 hours.  After dinner, I went to go make them. I heated my deep fryer, and put one ball in at a time. Yeah the outside mixture totally came off of it and the ice cream was going away. I was defeated, frustrated and to be quite honest I almost cried. I really didn't want this recipe to go down with the orange chicken. I knew people made it, and I knew it could be made. So how the heck did it work?! I admitted defeat on my blog, and another group of foodie friends. Everyone assured me not to give up.....A couple of of my friends told me to use egg. So after a good nights sleep I thought I'd try again....Hoping that this was going to be the right way. So I made more ice cream balls, froze them and went about the process again. And you know what? It WORKED :-) I was so thrilled I could of cried. So here is the recipe that I did. Now I will tell you that I have not mastered it all the way, but I do have a couple of thoughts..Its really harder then it looks. I want to give a shout to this idea from my friend Chris at FoodThoughtsOfaChefWannabe who gave me the idea for the flour and whole egg.
1. There can not be exposed ice cream so make sure its all the way coated.
2. The corn flakes need to be finely crushed. 
3 The balls need to be bigger.
4. Use a hard ice cream.

Here is my recipe:
Container of Ice Cream to make however many ice cream balls you want. (Make extra in case)
2 Cups of Crushed Corn Flakes
1 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Nutmeg
1/2 Cup of flour
1 Egg 

Take your ice cream scoop and make however many ice cream balls as you need. Do extra in case one doesn't work out. Trust me. LOL Put them in the freezer for 2 hours. When the 2 hours is almost up, take your corn flakes and crush them finely. Mix in your nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.  Put flour onto to a paper plate or whatever you have so you can roll the balls in it.  Take an egg and mix it in a bowl. Take one ice cream ball out at a time and roll it in the flour, roll it in the egg, then the corn flakes. Repeat till all the ice cream balls are done. Keep in the freezer for 2-3 hours. I'd do it more toward 3. You need to make sure they are hard. 

While those are going you can work on your toppings. I did a Salted Caramel Sauce, a Dark Semi Sweet Chocolate drizzle, powdered sugar. You can add whip cream. I bought it but forgot to use it.  I also made Tortilla chips using sliced tortillas. Then I threw them in oil and fried em.

The Salted Caramel recipe I use is from HUGS AND COOKIES XOXO
Here is the link to it: Salted Caramel Sauce
 For the Chocolate Drizzle I just melted chocolate with 1 T of butter. 

Once those are done and ready to go, make sure your other toppings are right in arms reach. You need to add the toppings right away. 

Get your oil heated up. Once its heated up you can add your ice cream one at a time. My balls were so small that I only had it in for less then 10 seconds. But you just need to judge it. Make sure the topping is fried.  Take out and put on a plate. Put on your homemade tortilla chips. Drizzle your caramel sauce, chocolate, powdered sugar, whip cream. Then enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. good for you! I've had recipes fail and have reacted the same! Glad you tried again.

    ReplyDelete