CNN

Yum

Friday, September 21, 2012

Pretzel recipe



Ever had those days where it totally feels like everything in the kitchen hates you???  That was totally my day the other day... From the moment I went into the kitchen, I just knew it. I was like well I'm going to do this. That same day I also made orange chicken. Now let me tell you I have a battle with orange chicken. I made it once before and it was a great disaster. So, I decided I didn't wanna give up. So the other day I made it again. Trying my best to come up with a magical orange chicken. Yeah not so much haha. When I started the orange chicken in the crock pot, I knew just knew it wasn't gonna turn out right. But I still had faith (errr lack of faith) that it'd turn out okay.. That was the first disaster....

Secondly, I LOVE LOVE soft pretzels, but can't always get them!!! So, as I usually do I try to make the junk food snack items I love, so I can of course have them whenever I want them. So I hunted up a soft pretzel recipe. I found one that looked easy enough. So given my orange chicken disaster I thought I'd give it a go and make the soft pretzels.  First batch of dough went horrible wrong. Which I then decided to tell you all I wanted to hide and eat peanut butter cups. LOL I gave it another try....

So I took the recipe Soft pretzels, and I changed it a bit. I give all credit to the original recipe here...


For the dough:
1½ cups warm water (110-115° F)
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. Sea Salt (but you can use regular)
2¼ tsp dry.Active Yeast
 4 1/4 all-purpose flour
4 tbsp. salted butter, melted
Vegetable oil, for greasing the bowl

For finishing:
Cooking spray
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
1 egg yolk beaten with 1 tbsp. water
I used Course sea salt to sprinkle on top

Directions:
To make the dough, combine the water, with yeast and 1 TB of sugar..Let it sit for 5 minutes till foamy. Then I add salt.  Mix on low speed to dissolve the yeast.  Add in the flour and melted butter and mix just until the dough comes together. This is a very thick dough so watch out.   Switch to the dough hook and knead on medium speed until the dough is smooth and clears the sides of the bowl, about 5 minutes.  Transfer the dough to a bowl lightly greased with vegetable oil, turning once to coat.  Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place, about 50-55 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

Preheat the oven to 450° F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.  Bring the water and baking soda to a boil in a large saucepan or stockpot. Take your dough and form it into a pretzel design. You can look at the above link for directions on how. Then boil each pretzel 3 seconds on each side. Brush with your egg wash. Sprinkle with salt and bake. Bake at 350 till golden brown.

To do a Pretzel dog, wrap pretzel dough around a hot dog and boil it. Sprinkle with salt and bake.

To do a cinnamon twist, take to this pretzel dough ropes and twist it. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.




1 comment:

  1. That happens with me when I put a recipe in the crock pot I just know it's going to be horrible! Sorry about the orange chicken. The pretzels look good and I've been wanting to try making them! We've missed you on Foodie Friends Friday lately! Why not just head over to the blog and join the fan giveaway? You never know! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete